You Are the Branches

1 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me."

5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full."

12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you."

"I am the true vine." Here 'I' is the incarnate Jesus of the divine-human nature in one Person mediating between God and the elect.

"My Father is the vinedresser." 'Father' means the trinitarian God having nothing to do with humanity. The Father is God, the Self-existent Eternal, the Creator, the Sovereign, and the Ruler.

Since Jesus also has humanity as well as deity, His position is of the Son, not of the Father, but His deity is of the Father. So Jesus is said in Isaiah 9 to be the Eternal Father.

I Am the True Vine And My Father Is the Vinedresser

I am going to testify only a few. "Jesus is the vine and we are the branches." Being in one Person of divine-human nature, Jesus worked the works of the vicarious redemption of the cross as Mediator between God and us the elect. Jesus is the head of the Church and we are the Church His body.

That He is the vine means that Jesus is the head and the foundation of the Church. The Church all belongs to Jesus, and they who are clothed with the redemption of Jesus cannot be separated from Jesus and they are of one with Jesus.

The Father works on the vine as the vinedresser. The Father is omniscient and omnipotent, the Creator of all, and the Master of all; He dispenses all with sovereignty; and He preserves all. The Father is working as God to the creation, mankind, and Christians. "Father is the vinedresser." God's relationship to the vine is stated here. However, there are not one or two vines in a vineyard but there may be thousands of vines.

This passage is a parable to teach us several aspects. There is only one vine and the vine is Jesus. Jesus is compared to the vine. All the elect belong to Jesus to live, grow, and become honorable through His grace.

Whatever the vine branch acquires except from the trunk is all harmful. What is acquired from the trunk grows branches, leaves, flowers, and fruit. What is acquired from anything but trunk that is now attached, added, and augmented to the branch is only harmful and no good to the branch.

What the Vinedresser Does

1. He devotes all His possessions.

What does the vinedresser do solely for the vine? He devotes all His resources for it. The vinedresser might cultivate this vine and that vine if there were many vines, but now there is only one vine. The vinedresser hopes only for this vine. Therefore the vinedresser devotes all his possessions to this vine to make it grow better.

The spiritual world is what God created. Also He created the material universe and everything in it; stars, planets like the earth, satellites, and comets, according to collected human knowledge. Also in all of these in the universe, there are natural phenomena such as rain and winds, and nation, wars, peace, diseases, and cures. The universe and all of what fill it and the spiritual world and all of what fill it, these are all the possessions of this vinedresser. They belong to God. Everything is the possession of God the vinedresser, and He devotes all the available possessions of His to the vine to make it prosper.

What does the vine mean? Jesus is the trunk and all the saints are the branches, and He is the head and all the saints are the body belonging to Him. These are all a parable to make us understand a reality in which each of us is involved.

Now the Father invests all of His possessions for the vine. As long as we are not detached from the vine and we stick fast to the vine, God the vinedresser will invest all of His possessions for us who belong to Jesus and who are the Church of God. It is faith to believe this very fact.

When we believe this, the temptation of the devil will flee from us, and our absurdity will leave us and we will become wise. This fact does not change even though heaven and earth pass away, and it is too great for people to comprehend.

Such is what God does. Naaman the captain of the army of Aram had leprosy which was not curable for all physicians of the country and his wealth. God said to him, "Go and wash in the Jordan seven times," which was too trivial to execute, but his servants admonished him just to do so. He was cured.

No one, king of Egypt or anyone, could prevent the plague befalling all the firstborn in the country, but the one survived who followed the instruction which said, "You shall take some of the blood of the Passover lamb and put it on the two door-posts and on the lintel of the house."

Likewise it is extremely difficult to believe that God will invest all of His possessions to make us prosper as long as we remain attached to the trunk of the vine. We will come to believe if the Holy Spirit comes to us.

It would be very encouraging for us if a prominent person in community should help us, and it would be glorious for us and it would make us grateful if one of the most powerful and richest figures in the country were for us, but occasions of this sort do not happen frequently in history. Now the self-existent God and the Creator owns all things above and beneath the heaven, and God will invest for and concentrate on whoever believes this fact and remains attached to Jesus as an elect believing Him―it will be done as one believes. If one does not believe this, it will not be done.

The works which God wrote in the Scripture all seem to be impossible in human thoughts to materialize, but those have all succeeded who believed, saying, "Is that so?", when God said, "It will be done."

This is the first thing to do when we treat God. Even though it sounds extremely unreasonable that God says that something is so, it is to treat God that we are convinced without doubt, saying, "Yes. Is that so?"

God is not interested in being treated by our offering money or fine clothes to Him. God is the Almighty who created the universe; how much helpful can man be of to Him? It is to entertain God that we recognize and believe as He said, being convinced as it is so.

This is difficult. We have become the branch of the vine since we are elect and regenerate to belong to Jesus. Now that we have become the member of the body of Jesus and we remain attached to Him, what position, place, and state are we in? We should believe that we are in the position, place, and state in which God will invest for us all of His possessions.

2. He concentrates all His ability on the vine.

Next, the vinedresser concentrates his real ability on cultivating the vine. It can be understood even without the Scripture that a farmer will invest his possessions to harvest manifold crops as possible as he can. This is a plain truth taught in the general revelation.

A farmer's knowledge will be concentrated on farming in his farm which he owns. At night a vinedresser will dwell on how to improve his vines, and during the day he will pour his hours and strength to cultivate better vines. Likewise the vinedresser, God the Father, will devote His wisdom and ability, and all knowledge to the vine and its branches. We should believe this.

Then we should believe that God will devote His infinite knowledge to each of us, that is, me, and work on me. It will not do unless we believe this. We will be cut off if we do not believe, and we will go forward if we believe.

3. He prunes it to make it bear more fruit.

There is one more thing remaining. Why does the vinedresser invest all that he is possessed of and pour all his ability? He does all these to make it bear fruit well.

Believe Three Things That the Vinedresser Does

We must believe without doubt that God employs all of His possessions and ability to work on the vine and the branch which is His Church―we the saints. Power will come out of believing; power will not proceed out from unbelief.

We can practice confidently when we believe, and what we execute becomes reality when we practice what we believe. What is hoped for becomes a real fact when we hope without doubt to believe to do it. It is said, "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for."

We have to believe this; it is of no use to disbelieve. A bomb with a hole on its surface has no explosive function. An atomic bomb these days may have a more sophisticated mechanism that any defect of any degree of importance will prevent it from detonating.

I do not have much to say about that since I do not know about atomic bombs, but I had many occasions to come across deserted bombs. When the detonation pin is removed, a bomb can only burn and it will not explode to blow huge objects like houses. The power of God is manifested when we believe without doubt.

If we believe in Jesus right, the trinitarian Self-existent, the Creator, the Ruler, and the Sovereign will invest all His creation for us. His wisdom and ability will all be poured on us. What will He do that for? He will do that to cultivate the vine to bear fruit. Then we must believe that He does that to make us bear fruit well.

God is the vinedresser, and He devotes the three for us. The power of God will come forth when we believe this without doubt. It may seem to be vain to believe this, but once we believe, we have nothing to fear or envy, nothing insurmountable, nothing that is not for us, or nothing that is not ours. This is not a vain talk; it will be done as it is stated if we believe.

Vinedresser Desires Fruit

Then what does the vinedresser desire so that He invests all of His possessions and ability to cultivate the vine? What does He do all these for? It is said here.

It is said first that He takes away every branch that does not bear fruit. "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit." In older versions, it was "He cleans it", and in the current version, "He prunes it." Both expressions are the same, 'prunes' being deeper and more difficult to understand.

God concentrates all of His possessions and ability on each one of us, or me in a narrow sense, and on my family, my church, all Christian churches, and all historical churches in a broad sense.

All the churches represent 'I' in a broad sense, and 'I' represents 'I' in a narrow, ordinary sense. 'I' represents the lesser 'I' and all things are the greater 'I'. How can I make God pour His whole power and belongings to work on me? What is the means to make Him work on me? It is that I bear fruit. He will pour all on me if I bear fruit.

It said that every branch that does not bear fruit is cut down. It is also said that they gather what has been cut down and burn it. Whatever is extinguished, destroyed, or burned is what God throws away, and whatever is given the exceedingly great grace of God is what bears fruit, nothing else.

We must know how to live, and we are only to be exhausted unless we know the laws correctly. We cannot make ourselves happy unless other people help us. Men help us to no avail unless nature helps us. Nature helps us in futility unless God helps us.

What is the way to make God with His omniscient and omnipotent power help us? The answer is that we bear fruit. Do not contend with each other to take away more of each other's and expand at the expense of the other's territory; do what can make God pour all of His possessions on us. It is to bear fruit.

Also do what can make God with His possessions and ability look diligently only into us, study and endeavor only for us, and work only on us. Then is there anyone richer and greater than we?

This word allows not a hair of addition or deduction. Still, the power cannot come to us because of our unbelief. The power cannot be manifested because we do not believe. Even though a person is of insignificant qualification, his belief can work with great power.

How can we make God pour all of His possessions and ability on all of us, or if not all of us, on me an individual? It is to bear fruit. What is the way to be forsaken by God? It is to be unfruitful. This is unchangeable nor fluctuant. No addition or deduction. No change. We can receive God, His works, and His possessions if we bear fruit, and we will be forsaken if we do not bear fruit.

Abide in My Love

What is fruit here? It is interpreted below, "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love." We see here that God loved Jesus. What did God do to Jesus? God loved Jesus. What did Jesus do to God? Jesus was in God's love―"God loves Me; God pours all of His possessions and ability to work for Me." To be in His love is to receive all of His. Jesus received all of these keeping the commandments of the Father. Jesus is in His love eternally.

It is said in Matthew 28, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth." All authority in heaven and on earth means all possessions in heaven and on earth. Now that Jesus is possessed of all these, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

That God does to Jesus with three things―all of His possessions, ability, and works―is, in one word, that God loves Jesus. How did Jesus receive all of His love? Jesus received His love keeping the commandments of the Father, and came to abide in His love.

The commandments of the Father means that Jesus obeyed God's direction to Him so as to abide in His love, and that was the only way for Him to abide in His love. Jesus is saying to us the saints, "You too keep My commandments and abide in My love."

'Abide in My love' means "When I command you this or that, be passive to My word and recognize all of what I have announced, and profess and be convinced of it. Also obey what I command you one by one to be in My love."

"I have kept the commandments to receive all of His possessions, ability, and the works for Me. I kept the commandments to take hold of them."

"As My Father did to Me with all of His, I also do the same to you with all of what I have been given from the Father; you will abide in My love if you do to Me as I did to My Father."

My Joy in You

It is continued as, "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full." Why is He saying this? What the Lord does keeping the commandments of the Father seems to be all the path of destruction when viewed from the devil's knowledge in dead human beings. According to that knowledge, to be crucified was a path of destruction.

It was a path of destruction in human eye and that was why Peter said, "God forbid it, Lord. This shall never happen to You." Peter said this because the devil's knowledge in men decided it to be a solely destroying and demolishing way that Jesus kept the commandments of the Father. Externally it is all sorrow, pain, loneliness, and suffocating. Jesus says this to us because externally it looks like a sure way of destruction to keep His commandments.

It seems to be lonely, impotent, demolished, poor, and miserable externally, and it looks like endless sorrow and pessimism to keep the commandments of Jesus preached to us―this is not true.

'My joy' is the joy which the world cannot harm, time and space cannot harm, and all the others cannot harm. 'My joy' is the joy which is eternal and true. 'My joy' is the joy which Jesus had on His cross, and He is saying this so that the joy may be made full inside us.

"Therefore keeping My commandments looks like sorrow externally but inside it is joyful, looks like loss externally but inside it is profit, looks like dying externally but inside it is eternal life, looks like defeat externally but inside it is true victory, and looks like deceived and demolished externally but inside it accomplishes eternal perfection. Do not be deceived by appearance. I am saying this to give you the joy and life that are eternal, rejoicing, and perfect."

Commandments, Love, and Salvation

Then He says, "This is my commandment," after He says, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." What is 'My commandment'? "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you." Then it is when we love brethren as the Lord loved us that we keep His commandments.

The Lord kept the commandments of the Father all to work our salvation. The Father asked nothing except this of Jesus; God assigned Him nothing but to save us. That is the only work for Him to do―to save us.

"What the Father commanded Me to do is only to love you, the saints. I invested all of Mine for you, and I came to abide in His love. As for you, it is when you love one another as I loved you that you keep My commandments."

How did Jesus love us? It is said in 1 John that God became incarnate and gave up all the riches in heaven to save us. God commanded Him only one thing, to save us, and He did not mind being lowered, being humbled, suffering all losses, becoming poor, being maltreated, being unfairly treated, being condemned, being beaten, and being crucified.

Jesus admitted that He would do whatever God commanded Him to save us; when told, "You have to be crucified now," He said, "Yes"; when told, "You have to be nailed," He said, "Yes"; when told, "You must have nowhere to lay Your head," He said, "Yes"; when told, "Even though You are the Creator, You must lower Yourself to become incarnate," He said, "Yes"; when told, "You must become humbled," He said "Yes"; and when told, "You have to become lowered to hell," He said, "Yes." He answered only 'Yes' to God.

What does the 'Yes' mean? God commanded Jesus only to work to save and love us, and Jesus never disobeyed but performed what He was commanded to do. Now He has occupied all things in heaven and on earth, and He has pleased the Father, and become the Mediator of all creation.

Jesus says, "Likewise, I command you the saints no other thing but that which God commanded Me. What was commanded to Me was to love you; what I command you is nothing but to love one another as I loved you, that is, mutual love."

What does 'mutual love' mean? Love means salvation. What is salvation? The Lord invested all to work on our remission of sins, justification, and reconciliation with God.

Also He resurrected as man to clothe us with the instituted salvation to make us an actual beneficiary of the works of salvation, so that we may become remitted, justified, and reconciled with God.

How can we clothe others with the works of vicarious redemption of Jesus? We must become what Jesus had become to clothe us with His works. Then to clothe others with His works, we must take steps of this and that and steps of difficulties, and we must invest all and sacrifice ourselves; this is to keep His commandments.

How far should we keep His commandments? "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus interpreted this as, "There is no love or works greater than to offer life in the end for the salvation."

Love is the vicarious redemption of Jesus. First we should live by the remission of sins. Now that we have been clothed with the remission, we must live having nothing to do with sin and being clothed with no sin again, and we must live an innocent man and being clothed with no transgression, continuing putting on the works which were first clothed on us.

The Lord clothed us with His justification. What is justification? Justification is what is done according to the will of God. Jesus redeemed us to be connected to God, and we ought to belong to what God actively moves, and follow Him passively. To continue this passiveness is not to put it off.

We could do nothing about our disconnected state from God, but the Lord made us connected to God so that we can yield and submit to God to be passive to God; the Lord established our connection to God through our passiveness which we can now exercise by the grace of the Lord. We will not put off the justification if we do not abandon our passiveness but continue being passive to Him.

Also we are reconciled with God. We must not betray this reconciliation, nor put off the company with God. We must always belong to God to fear Him only, exalt Him only, love Him only, depend on Him only, look to Him only, and yearn for Him only.

The enmity to God which was initiated by our taking the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil has now been cleared, and we are reconciled to God. Then we ought to try so as not to sever our connection to God, and try to abide together with Him and accompany Him. This is to be clothed with salvation.

To be clothed with these three is to be clothed with the love and to abide in the love. To keep the commandments of God is to be clothed with these three. Now that we are clothed with the three, to keep the commandments of God is to preach these three to others to make them clothed with the same. It is the love, it is the commandments, and it is the salvation.

What happens after we abide in this love and we keep the commandments? We will be related to God to live with all of His possessions and ability and works concentrated on us.

It is also said in Matthew 28, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations." Make disciples of all people. "Baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." Make them clothed with the vicarious redemption of Jesus. "Teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Jesus will be with us with all things in heaven and on earth, and this is the same as that the vinedresser prunes or pours all on the branch that bears fruit, so that it may bear more fruit.

In the Scriptures it is said here to make us understand this way and it is said there to make us understand that way, but the underlying truth will be concluded as one in the end.

This morning let us remember this. We take the name 'God' too easily. Let me talk about St. Francis. He once went to a mountain to pray for three months along with his disciples. The saint bade the disciples provide him with only a meal a day. The disciples had been accompanying him for a long time, but they had never known what he prayed to God. Their curiosity forced them to listen to him secretly.

They eavesdropped on St. Francis' prayer for a month, two months, and three months only to find that his prayer was all the same―"Who are you, God?", meditating, crying, and being marvelled all the time. The saint learned humility in his praying. What does God do? That is what we are studying.

When we come to understand God, we will come to know the creation correctly. When we know of God, we will come to know that all the creation has its own values, positions, and preciousness, but it is not worthy to be compared with God. Also we will know how excellent God is and what kind of Person He is.

No one can be humble that does not know of God. No one can be confident that does not know of God. No one can be wise that does not know of God. That is why it is said that the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

God will devote all of His possessions to us. We would be deeply grateful if someone should sell his property, say, a building, to support us, but we are not likely to be that much impressed when we hear that God devotes all of His possessions for us, since this statement is beyond our knowledge. We will recognize God as much as we have attained our 'self.'

What is the only way to make God devote all of His possessions and ability for us? To bear fruit. What is the way to be cut off from God the Absolute One to be destroyed? Not to bear fruit. Again, what is the way to make Him pour all of His for us? To bear fruit.

We must assure and convince ourselves that God works with these three, which is not realized in an hour listening to this sermon, though. Rather, day and night we should meditate on―"God devotes all for me; how much could His possessions in terms of money be? Hundred thousand? A million?"

As we look into the Scripture to find God, the Scripture which is correct and inerrant testifies that there is nothing but of God's. Mankind is of God's. Then we will find out more and more―"All the mankind will be the possessions of God for me only if I bear fruit, and all the nations and cultures of the world belong to God and these will be for me only if I bear fruit."

Also the power of God will do anything for the one who bears fruit. What does the power of God do? The power of God works rain, wars, wind, sunny weather, poor harvests, and good harvests. These works of infinite ability of God are executed for us who bear fruit. Again, all of His possessions, ability, and works will be operated only if we bear fruit, and we will be cast out to be destroyed only if we are unfruitful.

The general aspect of the three has been discussed so far. Let us go into details. What is fruit? Fruit is the salvation which God gives us. That is the love that He loves us with, that is, our salvation.

What is the nature of the love that God loved us with? The love of God made us severed from sin so that we have now nothing to do with it, and made us become passive to God always. The love that God loved us with is just our salvation. The love of God keeps us company with Him and not incompatible with Him, and not disconnected to Him at any time. The love of God made us now maintain these relationships to Him. What is it? It is salvation. What is it? It is eternal life, perfection, immutability, and eternal life and peace.

What is the means to execute them? It is the commandments of God. How do we execute them? We may follow a model. Whom do we take a model of? Jesus is telling us to take a model of Him. "Love one another just as I have loved you."

How did the Lord love us? First He as God sacrificed His position, authority, glory, honor, riches, and all the other things to bestow the three for us, and then He became humbled to the lowest extent, and He bore and endured to the last, suffered any infliction imaginable, and finally died. He devoted all of His for us to establish the remission, the justification, and the reconciliation.

Then He resurrected to work on distributing the established remission, justification, and reconciliation on each of us to own them now. This is the way to receive all of God's.

Let us take an example. Suppose communists, the atheists, are confronting us now; what should we do to deal with them? We are not allowed to employ this or that to resist them except to be killed, since the love that God loved us with will be nullified if we actively resist them. Jesus did not resist, but He was crucified only.

What is the way to clothe ourselves with the infinite power of God? What is the way to make God employ all of His possessions for us? What is the way to make God engaged in nothing but doing all only for us? We should bear fruit. What is it to bear fruit? We should keep the commandments of God. What is it to keep the commandments of God? We should attain the salvation. What is it to attain the salvation?

First we must not put off the remission, the justification, and the reconciliation. We must clothe others with the remission and the justification, and also we must preach the reconciliation to others, willing to listen or not. We must not concede these three even though we may give up our life. We must present the value of these three in saying and writing and any other means. This is the gospel work, only on which the infinite ability of God, the works, and the possessions will be poured. This is the only law and secret set by God that no man knows.

Let us keep this in mind this morning. It would take us many hours, but we have had enough discussions on this. The secret of having God work on us, our church, and our family with all of His possessions and ability is to bear fruit. Where are the works directed to? They are directed to where we bear fruit.

What is fruit? The fruit is salvation. Then what is salvation? To preach and manifest the gospel is the means to deliver salvation. What is the salvation itself? The salvation, of ours or others, is that one becomes remitted, justified, and reconciled with God. When these are realized, we say that the person is saved.

All of the possessions and power will be concentrated on the endeavor that is accomplishing these. This is why God created the universe and dispenses everything now. Men deem this trivial, but everything is done for this purpose.

We must not sin lest the salvation be damaged; we must not sin, even at the expense of our life; we must not violate nor discontinue the passiveness to God even at the expense of our life; we must not betray the close relationship with God even at the expense of our life or any difficulty. First as an individual we will save ourselves if we endeavor not to commit these, and then we will have our endeavor of this salvation presented to others.

We must show it to others and say to preach it to others. We must admonish them, "Man, why are you doing this? You will live if you only say one thing in confession." We must let them know the three in salvation, the remission, the justification, and the reconciliation, regardless of their willingness to listen or not―one who is not elect will not listen. Now that we are already saved, we must not compromise our salvation but maintain this salvation and work to pass it on. This is to abide in the love of God; this is to keep His commandments; this is love; and this is to bear fruit. This is the way to make God devote all of His possessions and ability for us. Let us take hold of this fast, and convince ourselves.

It is now time for us to believe this. I have been saying much on this, but I am afraid that it has been in sayings only. From now on we will not overcome the temptation coming upon the whole world unless we have the faith that we practice in our reality. There are two sorts of people; one who believes and the other who does not believe even after God pronounces repeatedly.

There were many powerful people in Noah's time, but they would not listen to what Noah warned. When the judgment of flood came as Noah said, everybody resorted to what they depended on. They all depended on their strength. "When others go one mile, I can go two miles. Now the water is knee-high, and I will run up to mountains." Everybody thought that it was anyone but themselves who were to die, and strove to overcome the coming flood.

"I have ships and possessions, and besides, I am a king"―there must have been every sort of people imaginable, but they were all destroyed in the flood. This is a revelation to us. It will be the same in the judgment of fire to come.

Noah did not build his ark to use it commercially or militarily. He used it on nothing but to be exempted from the judgment. Our faith in Jesus is used for our exemption from the destruction that God executes.

Avoid meaningless repetition when praying at night, or shouting, except when you come to understand who God is and fear as you pray and inquire, "Who are you, God?"

It is when we realize that God loves and saves us that we become confident and peaceful. This practical, effective experience and evidence must be formed inside us; a tangible effect that is worked by the living God will not come to us as long as we remain a formal believer professing in speech only.