Share All Good Things

6 The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. (NASB)

'The one who is taught' in church is the laity, and 'the one who teaches' is one of those in teaching positions, pastors, district officers, or Sunday School teachers. Also in a broader sense the prophets and the apostles teach us through the Bibles they wrote, and we are the one who is taught. More fundamentally God is the one who teaches and we, the redeemed saints, are the one who is taught.

Visibly it is the Bible that teaches, and inside it is the Inspiration that teaches. Through the Inspiration God taught the prophets and the apostles, who in turn taught us through the writings of sixty-six Bibles. Pastors and teachers learn from the words of Scripture and testify the words to teach us.

We are in both a position to be taught and a position to teach. I, Pastor Paik, am in a position to teach some, and also in a position to be taught. It is God alone that only teaches, without being taught, but we are taught in one relationship and we teach in another relationship, which is expressed as the one who is taught and the one who teaches.

In verse 6, "The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him." Those who teach should not conclude that their teaching is completed and thus others will obtain salvation after their instruction delivered―they who teach should also take part in what they teach. Teachers should do what they preach to their own profit; however vastly they teach, their teachings do not profit themselves unless they practice them. Also it will not profit those who are taught unless they in turn do as they are taught, however well versed they are on what they have learned. This is what is clearly said here.

What we are to learn is and the grace we are to receive through this verse today is: both they who are taught and they who teach should do according to the instruction given by them who teach. It is not finished when an instruction is given by those who teach, and what they have taught will condemn themselves when they do not perform it. This is what they who teach should repent of. Likewise it is the sin they who are taught should repent of, that they would deem it to be finished when they hear a teaching, not doing what is inside it, no matter how well they have learned and memorized it.

God need not repent for not practicing what He teaches since He practices, and prophets and apostles need not either since they all passed away now. But we present at this service should repent on both the aspects, as those who teach and those who are taught. In the first week of this year of 1981 I talked about faith as the sole means of success, in this second week I am talking about sharing all good things. What do all good things mean? All good things mean what are taught according to the Bible as well as what are learned according to the Bible.

They who teach are supposed to teach good things, and they have taught good things if they have taught according to the Bible. They who teach should work to teach as God teaches and strive to belong right to teach good things, correcting their circumstances and conditions accordingly. To whom should the teachers belong? They should belong to God. What are the right circumstances and conditions they should be in? They should stand in circumstances and conditions where they can be free to be straight and right and where they can settle any sin. They who are taught should do everything to be taught all good things, seeking and belonging where all good things are taught, and being present there.

Everyone of us is in a position of both learning and teaching. Let us first focus on both learning and teaching all good things. "The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him." What are all good things? They are what are learned and what are taught according to the Bible. The teachers will pass the judgment of God when they work to teach all good things, and they who are taught should work to learn all good things, thus to avoid falling into destruction when learning erroneous things. This is what we should strive for first.

Why should we focus on this first? There are good things and bad things in the world. In other words, there are good things that save and bad things that kill in the world. There are things good and right and things bad and evil in the world. God taught prophets and apostles through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and they wrote down the sixty-six Books of the Scripture. The way of truth contained in the sixty-six Books is the teaching right and good. It is our current task to teach the way of truth right as it is and also to be taught it right as it is.

The words that the Bible of New and Old Testaments―the way of truth of the Holy Spirit―teaches are good laws and good ways of truth. The Bible teaches us good things on human character, so it is enough for each of us in edifying our character if we follow the instruction the Bible provides us with. It goes well with us if we mind as the Bible tells us. Also the words of the Bible teach us meticulously on our mind, thoughts, and lusts. We will fail when we hope for what the Word does not teach. We will live when we learn right as we hope for what the Words teaches us and we do it accordingly.

The Bible teaches us right about our speech. We should talk as we are taught, set our heart as we are taught, see as we are taught, and listen as we are taught. We will do well if we do not listen when we are taught not to listen, and we will do well if we listen promptly and keep inside us what we are taught to listen to promptly and to keep inside us.

The Word teaches on everything without fail: on ourselves, our every move, all the other people, our family, country, society, and material property; also the Bible teaches on what to do when we are in an emergency, when we encounter a dreadful situation, when we fall in endless destruction, when we are buried to the bottomless pit, when we are haughty over all the others; we are also taught on the people we love, on the enemies we hate, on our loving spouse; we are taught on how to behave when we are cast out, when we prosper in business, when we go bankrupt to poverty, when our grits drive us, when terror renders us craven, and when we are overtaken by our lusts. The Word teaches us on everything without fail, and we will do well as long as we observe what we are taught.

Let us work hard to learn all good things taught in the Bible that God has given us on this second Lord's Day of 1981, and let us do according to the very teaching. We are to do all good things we learn as we are told to share them. Let us repent of sin that we have not done all good things as we have learned what we did not aware of from the pastors, Sunday School chiefs as well as teachers, district officers, and seniors in faith. This year let us perform as we have learned. And it is not of use for us to be well versed in the Bible and teach all good things unless we ourselves perform them.

I will repent of not having done according to what I taught you, and you should repent of not having done according to all good things you learned. We should repent of not having done all good things we learned from prophets and apostles through the Bible. Good dinner cannot make us full and nourished unless we actually have it, and a dainty dish cannot be appreciated unless we actually taste it. You will never participate in this Way unless you do it as you are told. You will never discern if the Way is true or false and effective or impotent. We have a sin of not having performed what we learned. I will repent of the sin of not having done according to what I taught you, what I learned from prophets and apostles, and what I learned from the Holy Spirit. You ought to repent of the sin of not having done according to what you learned from the Holy Spirit, prophets and apostles, pastors, teachers, district officers, and seniors in faith. What we have learned is not of use unless we actually do it.

It is said in James 2 that we will not be warmed unless we are clothed and we will not be filled unless we eat food. We ought to repent of sin that we have not done according to what we have learned through the inspiration from the Holy Spirit the God, through the Bible from prophets and apostles, and through teachings from seniors in faith, pastors, Sunday School chiefs and teachers, and district officers. Likewise I as pastor will repent of the sin for not having done as I taught, and so should repent district officers, Sunday School chiefs and teachers, and seniors in faith, of the sin for not having done themselves according to what they taught. Let us repent this on this second Lord's Day. This is the second point the Lord requires of us.

First, believe in God. Second, the ones who are taught should do as they are taught, and the ones who teach should do as they teach. Share all good things, and it will go well with us. Everything is taught in the Bible on how and what to do when we deal with our enemies, when we are in any emergency imaginable, in any danger, in any loss, in any terrifying circumstance, in any disappointing moment, in any irrevocable failure, in any promising success, in any prominent position or authority, in any height or depth, in any disease or health, and in any prosperity or calamity. All we have to is do as we are taught, and life will come to us. Nothing will be opened to us before we will repent of this.

Let everyone pray on their own.

I will repent too. I urge you to repent too. I have seen failures, for I have not done according to what I taught. Now I will repent and do as I taught. Please let me know immediately when you see I am not doing as I teach, and I will accept the one who prompts my inconsistency as my teacher and I will yield and submit to the person. Both those who teach should do as they teach and those who are taught should do as they are taught, or we would have no connection to all the good things covenanted by the Lord, all glory, honor, and blessings. And nothing will come to us when do not practice but the divine wrath, destruction, and curse.

Share All Good Things (Continued)

6 The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.

8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

We are both in a position to be taught and in a position to teach. False teaching will be subject to the eternal judgment of God, and erroneous learning will fall into eternal destruction. Good teaching will save man and the one teaching good will be rewarded, and good learning will lead one to practice it and the one practicing it will be blessed.

What both the ones who teach and the ones who are taught should do is to do what is taught, which is good. It is of no use otherwise. Those who teach good things should not consider it finished once they finish teaching a thing; they should accomplish their salvation regarding the thing they have taught by performing it themselves. Those who teach will yield nothing for their salvation if they conclude that their task of teaching a thing is fulfilled as they finish their teaching the thing. The same is true for those who are taught if they conclude that their task of learning a thing is fulfilled as they finish their learning the thing and keep it in mind. Those who learn good things should perform the good things to establish their individual salvation, whether they learn good things directly from God through the influence and inspiration of the Holy Spirit, from the words of the Old and New Testaments through prophets and apostles, or from interpretations of present pastors, educators, Sunday School teachers, district officers, and seniors in faith.

Both they who teach and they who are taught should do, or share, good things to save themselves, their family, their church, and their organization. This year, God urges them who teach to repent so as to practice the good things they teach, and He also urges them who are taught to repent so as not to merely keep the good things they learn to themselves but to perform them.

In verse 7, "Do not be deceived." This means, "Man, do not deceive man. Do not deceive yourself." God has taught humans good things, and whatever contradicts good things given by God is a means with which man deceives man, and nothing else. We deceive ourselves to destruction if we somehow block ourselves so as to fail to do the good things as we are taught. Whatever dissuades us from doing according to the good things deceives us, whether it is a human logic, human theory, human assertion, human thought, human saying, or human culture, or anything.

"Do not be deceived." Humans, do not deceive yourselves to destroy yourselves. We will get nothing but failure when we oppose and resist the good teachings. Something inside us may prevent us from doing according to the good teachings―our thoughts, minds, judgments, lusts, temper, stubbornness, arrogance, etc.; we deceive ourselves to destruction.

"God is not mocked." God is not to be despised, or scorned. Men will not do as God has taught them; they will not do according to divine teachings as they collectively resist, as they are forced by State authority, or as they yield to the whole humanity; they will not do according to divine teachings as they are arrogant, as their nation is stubborn, as their society is too strong, as they themselves are too superior, or inferior, as they are too covetous, or as they have too much knowledge; God will not be despised or discouraged by any organization, great or small, strong or weak, many or few, individuals, family, society, country, race, or the whole humanity. God will perform according to His good teachings.

"For whatever a man sows, this he will also reap." As we get what we sow, God will repays according to whatever we do. Contracts made between men may be either kept or violated, but what God teaches us will be performed accurately, and God will reward men who do according to the good teachings with salvation, victory, glory, and honor, while He will repay them exactly who do not do according to His good teachings whether they are a thousand, ten thousands, the whole humans, individuals, or a family.

We are more likely to keep our promise to the weak than to the strong, or to the few than to the many. But God says we will reap as much as we sow. God says anyone, who may be a numerous people or a strong country that will not observe His teachings, will be requited exactly, and anyone, who may be a most miserable and pitiable one that will transgress the good teachings of God will be repaid the same.

In verse 8, "For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption." Living for their own flesh means living for their body and heart. They who live for their body and heart will benefit from their body and heart, when they live for their heart's sake, for their heart, for their heart's wish, for their heart's assertion, and for their heart's pleasure. They will get benefit but it is corrupt and already dead; it will vanish corrupt however much it may be gathered and however great it may amount to. Again, those of us, who live according to what their body and heart desire, what is good for their body and heart, and what their body and heart rule, will earn something from their living for their body and heart, but that is corrupt, doomed to cease, and cursed.

"But the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." The words of Old and New Testaments are the truth of reason of the Holy Spirit. It is to live on behalf of the Holy Spirit that we live on behalf of the Old and New Testaments; it is to live receiving the Holy Spirit who is God that we live receiving the influence and inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Anyone living according to the truth will benefit from the truth, and anyone living for God will be rewarded the eternal life by God. The Holy Spirit will give what is eternally good to the one who lives for the Holy Spirit. The truth will give something eternal and good to the one who lives for the truth. The truth does not age or die, neither does God, nor the Holy Spirit, but God has nothing He is unable to do nor He is ignorant of. God will give what is eternal, perfect, and true to the one living for Him.

In verse 9, "Let us not lose heart in doing good." Doing good does not mean doing for oneself, for one's family, society, country, or nation. Doing good means doing for God the Creator. We should trim, wash, polish, and clean all aspects of ours to stand beautiful, enviable, favorable to all the others, not for our sakes but for His sake whom we serve. We should try to become such as to please God. We should set our family in order and clean to the glory of God lest we should be subject to tribulation and scorn of others. We should work to the benefit of our nation for God's sake, our country for God's sake, and our society for God's sake. All of our speech, deeds, mind, and thoughts should be centered on God and should be for His sake.

In every business we do, we should be more concerned in reproach that could undermine the reputation of God and gospel than any loss in money or difficulty in our living. As believers in God we should be cautious lest our business should cause disgrace of God's name in case our business fails, and we should be equally aware lest our conduct in the world should bring reproach on God's authority even in case our business prospers. We should do good for the sake of God; for the sake of God we should do business, work hard, be cautious and careful, and devote our body and heart faithfully. This is good. It is to do good that we do anything centering on God―let us do anything according to His wish, do what He is pleased with, do anything for His glory, and do anything to save humans whom God redeemed through His blood.

"Let us not lose heart." It is all good: Doing after God's wish, doing to please Him, doing to glorify Him, doing to accomplish the human salvation God established through His blood and now wants us to do more than anything else, doing to destroy sin, doing to realize divine will on the earth, and doing to stop the enmity between God and man and to reconcile man to God thus making way for divine blessings to come to man unblocked and infinite. And we are told not to lose heart in doing good, for God lives. We are not to lose heart since we have the faithful God who promised not to fail to reward whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one even a cup of cold water to drink.

The present world is not all for us to live in; we have the eternal world to come that we are to live in beyond the judgment. Let us not lose heart in doing good even though we see no divine reward bestowed on us until we die, even though we see no effect of living on behalf of God until our death, and even though we see ourselves unrequited of God. The everlasting world is coming after the present world ends, and we are not to lose heart because God is, who is omniscient and executes, requites, and rewards impartially in fairness and justice.

We should not be discouraged since God knows how much we work hard, how much we endure, and how much we are treated unjustly. God knows when we go hungry for God and neighbors, so let us not be frustrated. God is aware the good we do for others, so let us not be disappointed even though all the others will not acknowledge it. Let us not be dismayed even though our living for God centering on Him is not vindicated with a visible, valuable reward until our death in the world. The present world is not all; we will be requited in the coming, eternal world after we leave the present world and pass the judgment of God.

"For in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." We become disappointed, discouraged, and languishing when we earn half what we invest or crop
one after we sow ten. But we will not grow weary if we discover that we can make a hundred from what we toil only one for and that we can convert what could cease in this world and garner it eternally. Man is just like a dust; remember it will not fail ourselves to know the Lord of the whole creation, and it will not lose ourselves to serve Him. We have our physical life with which we live and become old and sick, and finally we die. We can do what the great Lord wishes, using our life that is to cease and perish whether we live this way or that way. With this limited life of ours we can be associated with the great Lord and receive Him. We can be rewarded by Him; we the least with the least things in the world can serve the greatest One, to be repaid with His infinitely valuable rewards in the everlasting world. We will not grow weary in doing good when we discover this secret.

Not knowing this we are bound to become weary in doing
this or that on the earth, following vain glory and empty lusts in adventurous and defiant spirit. We will surely become exhausted when we do anything vainly hoping others will recognize and receive us. We may well be tired and disillusioned if we retrieve one when we have sacrificed two.

There is no getting closer to God once we enter the eternal world. Do you think there is a way to make the president of this country your man, simply investing a meager amount of your money, say, one dollar? Is there a means to get you befriended with the president so that he would be willing to give you anything he can? Suppose you feed a person in need. All you do is to pay one dollar for the miserable person you do not know much about, and the person is very grateful to you for your kindness because the person could have died in that plight without your help. Suppose further the poor person becomes president of the country later, and will remember what you did years before and declare he is willing to help you in return. Would you spare one dollar at your disposal should you foreknow such a negligible amount of money will bring you to such an unimaginable situation?

Can you spare the little money when you know the money can make you closely associated with a would-be king who will support you when enthroned? Will you feel tired? Will you hesitate? Will you regret? It is in our reality that we should make relationship with the Lord of lords and King of kings. I feel suffocated to see you do not understand this: The work of giving even a cup of cold water will never pass unrewarded. We serve Him with what we have that is already sentenced to perish. We convert what is to cease into what exists eternally. We make what is finite into what is infinite. We make a perishable thing into an imperishable thing, a weak thing into a powerful thing, a dishonorable thing into a glorious thing, and a thing of flesh and blood subject to time and space into a spiritual thing. We must acknowledge this first and then live centering on God, and we will never be tired or grow weary.

"For in due time we will reap." There is a time when God dispenses His will to everyone of us individually who lives centering on Him. He rewards in this world whomever He deems to be rewarded in this world, and He will repay in the eternal world to come whomever He decides to be rewarded in the eternal world. God is the only One who decides when to reward us, in the present world or in the eternal world to come. For instance, Joseph could not have been qualified to govern Egypt had he been discovered and given the governorship before he had sufficiently had all experiences through which he had served God. If he had not been unfairly treated, how could he have acknowledged there might be an innocent one among prisoners? How could he have ruled the country had he not had been tested by a woman burning with passion? What if Daniel had been appointed as chief commissioner before his adversaries were fully destroyed? What if Mordecai had not been rewarded for his merit on the very night Haman planned to hang him on the gallow fifty cubits high? Nothing would have been worked out if Mordecai had been rewarded for what he had done anytime but the very night.

It is said, "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time." Even though David had experienced many aspects of life, his righteous living had made him verdant on love between both sexes, which made him vulnerable after he had become king, and this had more impact on him with more pernicious consequences. "For in due time we will reap." God will repay us with all things necessary at a most appropriate occasion. What should be rewarded in the eternal world to come will be rewarded there, and what should be repaid in this world will be repaid here properly.

"Let us not lose heart." Why should we not lose heart? Because God exists. What is not rewarded in this world will be rewarded in the eternal world to come. No one will lose heart who believes that God is and the eternal world is to come, and who knows what kind of Person God is. "If we do not grow weary." We will not grow weary when we know the whole business is about converting what is finite into what is infinite, and about changing what is to perish into what abides forever. Rather we will give thanks only, "I thank You, Lord. I give thanks to You for changing perishable things into imperishable things and giving them to me. I thank You for changing finite things into infinite things and giving them to me. I also give thanks to You for changing temporary things into eternal things and giving them to me." We should do nothing but give thanks to God. Then we can become weary of nothing when we do something righteous. There is nothing for us to be arrogant of and to lie flat discontented with.

"For in due time we will reap." God tells us to rest assured as He rewards us with all things properly, even the least things without fail. This means that it is best for us to die if His teaching tells us to die, and it is best for us to be imprisoned when God teaches us to be imprisoned. We will have failed if we escape death to save our life when God tells us to die. It is best for us to die when the Word tells us to die, it is best for us to yield when the Word tells us to yield, it is best for us to grab when the Word tells us to grab, and it is best for us to give up when the Word tells us to give up.

Let everyone pray on their own.

Let us be determined. Everything is good that the Lord has taught us. It is good if it tells us to die, it is good if it tells us to let go, it is good if it tells us to become lowly, and it is good if it tells us to become rich and strong. It is the only good in our reality to do according as He teaches us, and all the others are death. Life exists only inside of what is taught and doing it accordingly, and death is everywhere outside just like the outside of Noah's ark. The one who is decided to do according to what God teaches is a human as strong as God and as wise as God. Why? God will be the one's God, and the one will be His member and people. Let us be determined to carry it out this year.